Individuals suffering from sinus headaches can have trouble managing their symptoms and functioning adequately. It is essential to visit the best ENT specialist in Karachi to understand the cause and treatment options; that would allow the person to get better.
Sinus Headache and Symptoms
Individuals experience sinus headaches when the sinus passway becomes congested. The person may experience pain and pressure on both sides. It can be seasonal or be triggered by multiple factors.
The symptoms of sinus headaches include:
- Unbearable pain when the person leans forward
- Notices green or yellow nasal discharge
- Excessive pressure behind the forehead makes the person uncomfortable.
- Pain pressure and pain in the cheeks and eyebrows.
- Individuals may experience a toothache
- Experience weakness
- Swelling around the face
- The patient may experience chills and fever
Causes of Sinus Headaches
The known causes of sinus headaches are:
- It can be a result of an infection that causes congestion and swelling.
- Allergies can trigger sinus headaches.
- Bacterial viruses also act as a trigger to sinus headaches and swelling.
Complications Associated with Sinus Headaches
The complications include:
- Due to unbearable pain and swelling around the eye socket, the patient might experience blurry vision. It eventually induces discomfort and anxiousness.
- There is a chance of inflammation in the blood vessels present near the sinuses. Due to the inflammation, there is a high risk of blood clotting and infection.
Diagnosis for Sinus Headaches
The tests that help in diagnosing the headaches include:
Reviewing Medical History: The doctor will ask questions related to symptoms to help make a proper diagnosis. Also, if the person recently experienced cold or flu can result in sinus headache, due to respiratory infection. Moreover, it is necessary for the doctor to know if the person smokes or has allergies that may have triggered the headache.
Physical Examination: The Physical examination will help evaluate the severity of the patient and swelling around the sinuses. Moreover, the examination checks if the person is suffering from otitis that has caused swelling.
CT Scan: CT scan helps check the formation and thickening of mucus that is causing distortion in the drainage. It is usually conducted to confirm the diagnosis.
Effective Treatment Options
The treatment options include:
- Use of Steam: Steam is helpful for thinning out the congestion and relieving the pressure. Using a warm towel is proven effective near the sinuses to promote the draining of the mucus.
- Use of Analgesics: Ibuprofen and Tylenol are effective for reducing headaches, toothache, and fever. However, if the headache persists for days, one should visit the doctor.
- Use of Mucolytics: The medication helps clear the mucus.
- Antihistamines and Corticosteroids: If the headache is triggered by allergies, it is more likely that the specialist will prescribe antihistamines and corticosteroid shots.
The preventive measures to minimize the chances of sinus headaches are:
- Avoid Smoking and as it may cause congestion in specific weather conditions.
- It is significant to avoid contact with people who are sick as the virus may be contagious and result in infection and congestion.
- If the presence of smog, one should use masks to minimize the chances of a direct inhaling of harmful fumes present in the air.
- It is essential to use a humidifier at home and work.
- Individuals should keep themselves hydrated to avoid complications.
- If certain foods act as triggers to headaches, they should be avoided or eradicated from the diet.
People suffering from headaches and noticing symptoms correlating to sinus headaches should consult the best ENT specialist in Lahore. The specialist will evaluate the severity of the condition and provide guidance regarding the treatment options.