The Features of a Good Pediatric Dentist
You have to take your child to the pediatric dentist in the first year of your baby’s birth or after the eruption of the first milk teeth. Finding a good pediatric dentist is important because the first visit to the dentist can cause to a pleasant and enjoyable memory, or vice versa, to the unpleasant feeling at the first dental visit that its consequences remain in your child’s memory for many years. Here we will mention some of a good dentist’s characteristics for children based on Toronto pediatric dentists’ opinion.
Providing a Suitable Space and Environment for Children:
Examine the space and environment during your initial visit to the office or dental clinic. The office environment should be designed for children, be happy with the coloring, and be attractive to children. Besides, it should have games and entertainment facilities suitable for children.
The equipment used in pediatric dentistry is slightly different from that of adults. The equipment is designed to be smaller than normal dental equipment. In your reviews, you can summarize the following points:
- Are space, environment and dental equipment suitable for children?
- Are there cheerful colors and attractive decorations are used for children?
- Are the children’s play and entertainment facilities considered?
The Suitable Behavior of the Pediatric Dentist and His or Her Staff:
Notice the dentist’s behavior with your child at your first appointment. The dentist should interact appropriately with the child to take care of their oral health. The dentist needs to be warm and cordial and answer all your questions with care. The staff and secretary of the dentist office should also be warm and cordial.
A good children’s dentist will spend enough time with your baby to teach you important oral hygiene tips like how to brush your child’s teeth properly. Overall, the following tips will help you:
- Do the secretary and office staff have a good attitude?
- Is the pediatric dentist kind and behaving appropriately?
- How the pediatric dentist treats a child who is scared or crying?
- In addition to taking remedies, are they providing you and your child with the necessary training?
The Best Reaction of Pediatric Dentist to Child’s Maltreatment:
Fear of dentistry is a common problem in pediatric dentistry. Some children may feel anxious and inappropriate when referring to a dentist. Several factors are involved in the formation of this fear. The most common factor is the behavior of parents that can have a great impact on the transmission of stress and anxiety to the child.
The dentist must be able to calm the child down by using appropriate methods. Pediatric dentists have had the necessary training on how to interact and behave with children. If necessary, use the strategies provided by them to calm your baby down.
Child’s Care and Treatment:
Your baby will have a pediatric dentist from infancy to adolescence. The cares and treatments you can expect from your dentist are:
- Examination of the baby’s mouth and evaluation of the risk of dental caries.
- Examining that the teeth are naturally growing.
- Repairing tooth decay or other dental defects.
- Providing preventive methods, such as dental cleaning, fissure sealant, and fluoride therapy.
- Providing orthodontic preventive services for cases where the teeth have improperly erupted.
- Management and prevention of gum disease.
- Providing information on oral habits such as thumb sucking or bruxism.